Sunday, April 19, 2009

B'ruchim ha-ba'im

Welcome!

I've created this blog to be a resource for other observant Jewish foster parents and those thinking of foster parenting. When I started poking around for frum foster parents on the web, I wasn't able to find any blogs or other resources. I don't claim to be an expert. Far from it. But I hope this lets others know that it is possible to be a foster parent--even in an urban area where 93% of the kids in care are African-American--and be more or less frum.

I have wanted to be a foster parent for pretty much all of my adult life. I have been pursuing licensure actively since September 2008, and strategizing the move to a suitable apartment for at least two years prior to that, so I have had plenty of time to ponder the various logistical issues that will arise in fostering as a result of my Jewish observance. My apartment has flaking lead paint which has stalled the licensing process for a number of months, so it will still be some time before I can post about real-world situations and their resolutions. In the meantime, I will post about some of the issues and my thoughts on them. Feel free to offer your own insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment