Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Odessa and Money

A few anecdotes involving Odessa and money:


  1. This morning: "I don't want to use my allowance to get my nails done for prom.* My allowance is for other things!"**

  2. Also this morning: "All I need you for is money."

  3. About two weeks ago: "I shouldn't have to ask you for money. You should just give it to me. And you should just have it in your pocket."***

*I did not give Odessa sufficient money for ALL the extras for prom. I gave her some money and told her that I would give her more if she showed she was able to be home by curfew and respected me as more than just a source of money. She understood that (she repeated it back to me last night) but did not do what I asked.
**When we worked out her allowance, getting nails done was added as a semi-regular expense that she could save up for. So actually, it isn't :-)
***The last bit is because pre-Odessa I rarely carried cash with me. I try to remember to go to the ATM before Sunday morning allowance time, but don't always remember. And if there's something she needs money for in the middle of the week, chances are good I'm making a trip to the ATM.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I believe you are a "saint"...and making me think that I could never take another teenager after the one I have now who doesn't really ask for anything, especially not money, and does "chores" without me even asking...yes, I'm in my own little world here and feeling very lucky! Good luck...that does not sound fun at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her little heart.

    ReplyDelete