Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Brief observation

I understand that being able to take leave from work in order to meet with the licensing worker demonstrates that I have enough flexibility in my job to deal with emergencies with a kiddo.

But four hours of leave for a fifteen minute visit is just inappropriate. If I were paid by the hour, I would be pissed. And I don't use that type of language lightly. Plus, the more I have to take off before I'm licensed, the less time I'll have saved to take off when I really need to!

3 comments:

  1. Beware!!! This is really common behavior with social workers. My wife and I lost so much work waiting for social workers to show up that it wasn't funny. Ultimately, it generated a lot of ill will with our clients.

    Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might check with your HR department. FMLA includes allowances for foster care, and with 12 weeks available/year, in 15 min increments, that should take a while to use up.

    Or, depending on the company mindset, you might find a sympathetic supervisor who realizes you are doing this for "the good of mankind" and will allow the time off (without using your leave time) under the guise of community service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, thanks for your thoughts. I actually have an amazing boss who allows me to take off for Jewish holidays (potentially as many as 13 days a year, though thankfully that doesn't happen too frequently) without having to take leave. So I feel guilty taking advantage of his good will. Honestly, I am just annoyed with the mindset of the social worker. It was great having the rest of the afternoon off as I was responsible that evening for taking dinner to three different sets of friends who recently had babies.

    ReplyDelete