Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Just like riding a bicycle

This has nothing to do with fostering or being Jewish, but I'm so excited I just need to share.

I rode a bicycle this morning for the first time in 20 years! And it really is just like riding a bicycle. I almost ran into a pedestrian (who looked pretty peeved even though I yelled "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" after him--he had no way of knowing that I'd been on the bicycle for one minute in the last 20 years and hadn't quite gotten my bearings yet, or that I was actually trying very hard NOT to hit him when I lost control of the bicycle) but other than that it wasn't too much of a disaster. I think that I might manage to ride a bike to work from now on; I hope that it will save a bit of time. I will add, however, that riding in the street in my Big City is Scary and so I need to figure out a good route. And if (when) I get a new job, I might not be able to ride a bike anymore. It depends on where it is located, as the bike is not my own but rather part of a zipcar-like bike sharing program. (Oh please oh please let there be more than one Big City with a bike sharing program!) So if there isn't a drop off location near the office, I'll have to figure something else out. But that's really jumping the gun.

The other thing I've done this week that I haven't done since middle school is to knit. Many thanks to the internet for simple instructions to cast on (a necessary step in knitting, which I had forgotten how to do--knitting is just like riding a bicycle, though casting on apparently isn't). I've begun a scarf with yarn that I've been schlepping around from home to home just to see if it sticks. If it does (and hopefully the yarn will last long enough for the scarf to be scarf-length), then I'll make the investment in correct size needles and yarn to make blankies for kiddos. If you have any fun and easy patterns, please send them my way!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on relearning to bike! Don't you wish someone had reminded you of the pleasures of bike-riding earlier?? I do, anyway.

    ReplyDelete