Monday, September 7, 2009

Answers, part 5

SocialWrkr24/7 asked a follow-up question: is adoption a possibility? (I've paraphrased because for some reason, I'm too lazy to copy and paste from the comment. But not too lazy to type two entire sentences about my laziness.)

As I told Licensing Worker during my home study, I'm really more interested in the fostering piece. I want to be there for the kids and their parents until reunification can happen. If it can happen. I know there aren't enough adoptive parents out there either, but if I adopt, then I'm out of the rotation (so to speak) for foster kids, and I have a sneaking suspicion that there's a bigger shortage of foster parents.

Now, what happens when kiddo #1 comes along, and I fall in love, and reunification can't happen? Ask me then if adoption is a possibility :-)

P.S. I should add, lest anyone have this thought in the back of their mind--my Big City has fairly good post-adoption support. So that isn't a factor that would have me saying "ooh, let's mess kids up more so I can foster longer." (I hope you all realize, of course, that nothing would have me intentionally deciding to mess kids up!)



No comments:

Post a Comment