Friday, June 5, 2009

Phone advice

The regulations in my jurisdiction require foster homes to have "a working, non-coin operated, telephone." Among other reasons, I assume that this has to do with being able to call 911. While in my obsession with close reading, I think that a cell phone counts (it works, and it's not coin operated), I am willing to get a landline rather than try to convince the folks at the agency that the kiddo will always be with an adult who has a cell phone, even if the kiddo is home with a baby-sitter.

Friends have recommended that I get a vonage phone rather than a standard landline. The problem with this is that it doesn't work when the power is out. However, any cordless phone also won't work during a power outage. I have to decide by Monday at the latest what to do about the phone so that I have it in place and ready for my home assessment a week from Tuesday.

I'm looking for help answering these two questions (and any other advice is more than welcome as well):
1. do you think that having a vonage phone would be irresponsible generally, and
2. do you think that it would be a problem for licensing?


P.S. Please remember to check out the sidebar and help me Send a Kid to Camp!

1 comment:

  1. In my state, you must have a landline that does not operate on electricity. So no cellphone and no cordless phone. You don't have to leave it plugged in all the time though. We had a standard phone that we would drag out and plug in just before our re-licensing home visit every year. I understand the reasoning but it's a pain in the butt.