Monday, March 15, 2010

I wondered what I would do if...

...something important got left at Sabrina's dad's house after a weekend. I actually was pretty nervous about it this week, since I sent her with her winter coat and spring jacket...and if she had come back without her spring jacket we were going to have p-r-o-b-l-e-m-s. After all, it took six stores to find a jacket in her size.

What I didn't expect was for her to come back with her jacket, but not her inhalers. So imagine my dismay when Sabrina starts with an asthmatic cough, and I discover, no inhalers! I call dad: "Is it possible that Sabrina's inhalers are at your house?" (I should add here that Sabrina told me she had stayed with her Auntie this weekend. So there was a reasonable possibility that the inhalers were not, in fact, at his house.) Me: "How should we get them from me to you?" Dad: "I can take them to her school tomorrow." Me (not out loud): "Are you crazy? She's having an asthma attack NOW, you fool!" Me (out loud): "Well, she needs them now, so can we meet somewhere in between us?" After a lot of hemming and hawing and trying to figure out a place to meet, me: "Okay, let me just get directions and then we'll be on our way." Dad: "Oh, I can't leave out for another hour."

Hello?! My point in meeting in the middle is that Sabrina is supposed to be getting ready for bed Right. Then. and was in the beginning of an asthma attack. I figured that each of us in the car for a half hour was better than me driving the full hour to his house. No dice.

He gave me his address again and for some reason, Google Maps didn't recognize the address. I now know that this is because he did NOT say "Zeft, z-e-f-t" but "Vest, v-e-s-t," even though I repeated the spelling multiple times because "f-t" didn't make sense to me. So I counted on my memory to get there. It was dark and raining, and we got lost before we even made it out of the city. At least I had a map for that part. I had to call three times for directions once we got closer. Street signs in dad's neck of the woods are not easy to see in the daytime, let alone at night.

Two and a half hours later, we finally got home. Sabrina slept in the car on the way home, but not there. She's still coughing a bit, but hopefully will be okay.

I hope I never have to do that again.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is really awful. Can the dr give you a second/spare inhaler to keep at home or in the car or something?