Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Great afternoon!

After school today I thought we might be headed for a meltdown. Sabrina asked me while we were still at school if she could watch TV, but I had other plans. My plans were this: we were going to go to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy cookie cutters (Tar-jay having not had any) and then to Costco to get my glasses fixed (having been pulled off my face a few too many times), with the ability for me to use ice cream as a "if you're good..." treat at the end.

Well, I told Sabrina that we were going to buy cookie cutters--she wants to make cookies for her mom--and she would have none of it.

But by the time we got to the car and she got right in and let me buckle her seatbelt (one sticker, right away!), and I told her that even if we didn't go to buy cookie cutters, we still needed to go to a store to get my glasses fixed, she relented and was totally cool with the cookie cutter part of the plan.

So I said, "we are going to go to the store for cookie cutters, and then we're going to a different store to get my glasses fixed, and if you are fantastically good, we can get ice cream at the end. Being fantastically good means holding my hand in the parking lot, staying near me in the store, and no hitting, no biting, and no pulling my hair."

And she was better than fantastically good! So we got ice cream at Costco; a word of warning: it is a LOT. We shared the ice cream, and neither one of us was hungry for dinner. Not my finest moment, nutritionally, but we had a good afternoon, so I think it was worth it.

She got a lot more stickers (she breathed when taking her inhaler! amazing! though this might have been because she actually was on the verge of an asthma attack and knew it) so I'm hoping that she will be excited to get stickers in the morning and we can actually get to school.

We had great story-time, too, and then... she started telling me that she doesn't like living with me, I'm mean, that her favorite part of the day was at school because I wasn't there, and the like. I'm fairly confident that this was because she had too much fun with me and needed to protect herself. I think that's a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment